Tuesday, October 7, 2008

New Definitions

Lately I have been really triggered by the question, "So, what are you doing today/these days?" 
Most of the time my rebellious side wants to answer "Nothing, I am doing absolutely nothing important and what are you doing that's so great huh?." After some long walks with my buddy Eckhart Tolle (in my headphones), i came to a few realizations that I'd like to share about why this seemingly normal and polite inquiry gets me so mad. I feel like I am moving further and further away from traditional definitions of what "work" and  "productivity" mean to me and am all out rejecting the idea of "doing" as a whole. It's taken me a good ten years to come to this, which makes me all the more protective of this now that I am here. I have had to work through family and societal patterns around money and what it means to be a useful part of society; a slow, sometimes painful and sometimes freeing process. New definitions come to mind now, like what it means to exist: how important and helpful it is to simply BE. The more I am myself, the more aligned I am with source, the more I am in the flow, the more chance there is that I can help someone in a positive way. The questions I'm asking myself and that I'd rather be asked by others are-what feels good?, how do you like to spend your time? what vibration are you in right now? what feeling are you acknowledging? Generally speaking people want to know what you are doing, this and how much money are you making while doing it have come to define the worthiness of our daily lives. It's easy to measure I guess, easier than the more fluid, less exact science of being. So what i am saying is that my new definitions aren't definitions at all, I am and want to continue to be growing into the space that is the absence of definition. So if you happen to ask me what I am up to and you are met with a long deep silence, don't worry, only know that I am just stretching into my being-ness one day at a time.

No comments: